One day makeover.....

We visited 13 year old Payton's room about 2 weeks ago.  Her Mom wanted to freshen it up a little and give it a more cohesive look.  Here were the ground rules.

Can not change the paint color, the bedding, or the furniture.

Here were the request:

Desk, chair for desk, curtains.

Our budget was 2000.00 which included our time, the installer [somebody has to put that Ikea furniture together and it was NOT going to be us!], and all the "loot".  So.....of course we went to Ikea!!!!  We only spent one day shopping, and about 3.5 hours on the install.
Here is what we came up with.  I had seen Janell do this in her son Max's  room, so we asked her Mom to paint the wide chalkboard stripe in the middle of the room.  It really helped to break up the green as you will see below.

Here are the before and after pictures.
The bed in all it's glory!  Little too much pattern, so out goal was to break it up a little with some solid.  Notice the lamp [there was only one] as we moved it and replaced it with 2 that matched.
Bedding after....a white coverlet with 2 white shams.  These pillows look a little yellow in the picture but they were actually more of a citrus color.

I think it really helped to bring in some white and fold the comforter at the bottom of the bed.

Next is the dresser before.
This was after the stripe was painted and right before we started the install.
Moved the lamp here and just cleaned it up a little.
Here is a  picture of the shelves [before the stripe] which we moved to another wall.
Close up of the shelves.
Shelves re-arranged with a view of the curtains.
The whole corner...after.  Same chair, just new pillow.


Picture of the curtains.  Weren't we lucky to find these!  They matched so well and NO hemming!!!
Here is the nightstand before.
LOVE these lamps!  Ikea.....
Here is the other side of the bed where the desk had to go.  We did not have much room, and since she plays an instrument, the chair needed to be without arms.
Perfect fit!  Whew, our choices were very limited.
Desk accessories.
As you can see, we moved the chair so we would have room to get to the desk.......
Love the quote that Denise found at Joann's.  It was one of those peel and stick.
Notice how I put the peace sign up side down????  Geez, and I grew up in the 60's so I should have known better!
So...there you have it.  Now how long do you think it will be that clean??????

OK...I am off the the beach tomorrow!  My favorite place, only I am taking my 2 dogs for the first time.  I am a little nervous about that.  Yikes......


13 comments

Kirsten said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog...and I have already POURED over all of the past postings as well as your website. Your designs are fantastic! I live outside of Newnan Georgia and I also love to go to Scott's Antique Market (or any market, yard sale, salvage store, etc.) when I get a chance. I am glad I found your blog.

René said...

That black stripe made the biggest difference in the room. That must have been a fun job :) Have fun at the beach...I'm jealous.

-Rene

Kristen White said...

WOW...the room turned out fabulous!!! I can't believe you accomplished all that on such a small budget! Unbelievable......

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

It looks so much more pulled together!

Privet and Holly said...

Sherry ~ Fantastic re-do,
especially given the
restrictions that you
had!!! It's still fun
but more sophisticated.
I love to see a make-over
on a real life budget!
Wonderful.
xx Suzanne

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Way to go Sherry! Looks all grown up but still fresh!

Emily A. Clark said...

Looks so much better, Sherry! Love those kind of challenges :)

Where is Rosemary Beach? Hope you don't run into Hurricane Earl!

My Interior Life said...

That's one lucky 13-year-old girl! The bed looks so much better without all that pattern. Much calmer. I was actually thinking of getting an IKEA desk like that for my son's room. I need to head down to Atlanta soon to look around. Have a wonderful time in Rosemary - so jealous. I'm sure your dogs will be great!

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

nice job on such tight budget and "the ground rules".

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Looks awesome! Love that stripe and the color of the walls! SO pretty!

Lou Cinda :)

Julie Holloway said...

You did so good--you talented designer, you!! I hope you had fun at the beach. Wasn't it lovely? I actually ended up being in Seacrest...but I'll go back. Julie

Pauline Wiles said...

Love these changes, they're really effective. The bed definitely benefits from the solid white ;)

EZ said...

Sherry...so fab!!!

Back to Top