The "Oh NOT so simple act of changing the slipcovers"......Part One


Well......after shopping my whole house, my garage, and my attic and some drawers I think my episode of "fall styling" is done.  Could I have done more...absolutely but the whole purpose is to not break the bank. Oh yea.... you know I could.  Once when my husband and I were in the car driving to Florida [5 hours and no where to hide!] he and I were talking finances [I rather wrassle with an Alligator] He looked at me and asked "How much money do you think we will need for retirement?"  My reply: "Is that a trick question?"


A few before with afters....  

White slipcovers, art over mantle which I do LOVE and posted when I found at Scott's.  It will be back in April!


 Switched it out to a tobacco basket that I had gotten at Scott's for 25.00  Added the candle sticks that I already had, as well as the hand and mercury glass object.  Also, see the clamp light over the bookcase???  That is my take on some industrial which you can buy at Home Depot for about 6.00...and the good thing is that they work.  I only put a 40 watt bulb in for soft light.

Another shot of before....you will see lot's of different things in my bookcases as I change them if I have 10 min to spare :)
And after....

Another before "summer" shot
More summer color....
The flax slipcovers that start the whole "gig".  I did buy the black and white pillow covers [west elm] had the cow hide [from another bedroom] had the burlap pillow.


 Here is a close up of the tray which I got at Target.  It is actually a mirror and it was on clearance!

Just re- accessorized a little by adding the rope ball [had it].
 The lampshade was an old one I had in the basement and I just cut strips of burlap and used stitch witchery to iron the strips together.  The took it and wrapped it around the shade and secured with hot glue.  Yep...had the burlap also.  But...did get the lamp at Target on clearance for 20.00.  Even better!  I actually had a lamp, but I liked this one better.
Another shot of the pillows.

Here are some closeups of the bookshelves before
And after....

 The only think that is new is the black vase on the very top.  West Elm.

 I had some old books that I just tore off the bindings.

 I had all of this also, so I just took the paintbrushes [from Michaels purchased a while back] that had been in glass jars before and put them in this bowl with some black stones.
Here is the other bookcase.  The only thing new is the small black vase which I also purchased at West Elm.

 Stay tuned for part 2 that I will post  tomorrow!  I hope I have given you a few ideas that you can do seriously by just shopping your own house.  OK...so maybe I did get a little carried away, that is my personality!

I have read all the post about  "Nategate".  Good and Bad.  You know what...in the long run I think most people [when pressed] will say it was a memorable experience.  I wish I could have been there.  Am I bitter........you betcha!











14 comments

Chic Geek said...

Absolutely AMAZING! Bravo!!!

My Interior Life said...

Sherry,

Love your changes! It really does look like a different room, and your accessories are spectacular. We have a slipcover on a Lee sectional downstairs in my husband's man room (I won't say cave as I know that's frowned upon), but I never bought another set for it. I probably should as they look rather pathetic. Plus, they're not even the kind you can wash - you have to get them dry-cleaned. Even more of a hassle. Also, love your take on Nate.

Kathysue said...

Love your changes I am a black and white girl so it is right up my ally. It looks so striking and also very inviting and cozy. Great job!!! You have the touch my friend, Kathysue

Kelly said...

OMG! I can't believe it. When I saw that you put the light over your bookcase, I didn't know anyone else besides me had thought of that. I have seen it done in stores so I thought I'd give it a try on an armoire that has glass doors in my family room. And lo and behold you did it too! I adore my light and had expected my husband to think I had totally "lost it" when he came home and saw it, but to my surprise he thought that was so clever! I think he secretly just liked the fact that I didn't spend much money on it. Ha! Love your style and can't wait until I see your beautiful home featured in the BHG magazine! BTW, I am also a Georgia girl like you and my sister has a blog called Savvy Southern Style.

Courtney said...

Those West Elm pillows are great!

Nancy Hood said...

Love the colors! Very peaceful looking :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Looks Fabulous! I love the paintbrushes, and the picture of the two dogs!

Your eye for detail is amazing...

Lou Cinda :)

Julie Holloway said...

You need to be a photostylist in your free-time. Did you read MFAMB's (or see rather) that post/video on Nate? Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry! OH, my goodness! How gorgeous! I love your changes and your photos look like pictures from a magazine!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Blondie's Journal said...

I agree with Shelia! Your living room belongs in a magazine. Love the color scheme and all of your pretty accessories. I'm really crazy about your lampshade!

XO,
Jane

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

BEA-UTIFUL execution! I absolutely LOVE it!

:D Lynda

Cindy said...

Sherry,
I love all of the contrast and texture! You do an amazing job of putting everything together. Thanks for letting us see it. I will be back.
Hugs, Cindy

Kathy said...

Hello! Love your changes! Still very light but quite a different feel! It is so fun to change out things and add interest to our homes! Visiting via Show off Your Cottage at Cielo's!
Kathy

paula said...

so I have completely fallen in love with your home! Yes I know I have been looking at your blog for much too long. Oh, and the bookcases? swoon worthy... as in I want them bad ;)

Back to Top