Fall styling...

The sofa and 2 chairs in my den are Mitchell Gold.  I have had them for about 6 years, and purchased the group from Storehouse [remember them?] when they were going out of business.  They are the Alexa
 and came with  white cotton slipcovers.  About 2 years later I ordered a set of slipcovers in a flax linen, so I could change out in the fall through March.  This helps with the washing of the dang things.  I don't care what anybody says.........They get dirty and when people say that they just pull them off [like they are pulling off a piece of lint on something] and throw them in the washer I want to scream.  First of all it takes about 4 loads to wash them all.  Then I have to iron the skirts because they look like a crumbled piece of paper if I don't.  Let's talk about putting the suckers back on......like trying to put a twin fitted sheet on a king size bed.  I usually break about 3 nails, and I am in a full on sweat [like when you THINK you hit "reply all" but only meant to hit "reply" after you just wrote a "who does she think she is reply to a friend"], or like when you are trying on your jeans from last winter and you think WHF.....whose are these and how did they get in my closet?????

What I am trying to say is I have 2 big ole dogs that think it is their right to be on the furniture.  And it is.  So I get a 6 month break from all that drama.

Anyway, I have been making the transition this week.  Yep, first I have to go up in the attic to get the set.  Then I have to remember if I washed them in the spring or just crammed them in the bags and said the HELL with it [probably the latter].  They sit on the floor for a couple of days, while I am building up the energy so it takes about a week to do the full on changeover.

Here is a peek....
Yep, I even take down the artwork......
And re-accessorize a little

I should have the pictures up tomorrow.  I think I started this post to explain why I do this besides the dirty white slipcovers.  It keeps me from getting bored with my house.  Most of the things I already have just by shopping my own attic, garage.  I usually buy a couple of pillows, maybe a throw or 2 but I won't spend more than 200.00.  AND...I might add, it just solidifies the fact that neutral upholstery and wall colors will help you do this on the cheap.  I painted my walls white 6 years ago.  Before that my kitchen/den had been at least 4 different colors in 10 years.....pale yellow, apple green, a wheat color and  chocolate brown.  I love my white and have not even considered painting them.  That is a first for me.

On another note, I have enjoyed reading all the blog post about their visit to Nate's show.  Whew.... it looks like Old Natester brought on a shitload of hate on himself.  I do agree that he should have acknowledged the bloggers that were in the audience since it was a show about BLOGGERS
                                                                      

....really....Nate...come on.  Are you just another pretty face????????  I enjoyed reading this perspective from Design Blahg.   My opinion is that there is WAY too much clapping going on.  It sounds more like a game show.  Since Oprah is his BFF she should have a little "come to Jesus" meeting with him.  My opinion.

 

9 comments

AntiqueChase said...

I did a post about white slipcovers and how much of a pain they are BUT I have a little secret on how to manage themmm...

maybe you will check it out here (if you have time)...

http://antiquechase.blogspot.com/2010/08/white-sofas.html

Okie Chic said...

Your post was sooooo hilarious!!! Too funny I loved reading it.

maggie said...

i would almost rather eat brussel sprout's than face the challenge of washing the slipcovers!! when i am done, (i make sure that my hair is dirty,,cause i immediately have to shower when finished) i am sweating like no other and feel like i just did a major workout! chairs r easy but the sofa...ugh......read all the post's about nate's show! terrible!

Nancy Hood said...

I used to have a tobacco basket, for years!, then gave it away! ARGH and totally agree with you on the Nate issue. Sadly, they really dropped the ball on this one :/

Anonymous said...

Fun post Sherry.

Wish I had a tobacco basket. Maybe someday.

I can't remember to watch Nate!! Maybe someday I will. I will have a look at the blogs with Nate stories.

Unknown said...

Love your style here! About to get slipcovers for a small love seat made....hmmmm, can't wait to see and read more!

charm home said...

I can't wait to see the rest of the "styling" photos. Your home looks amazing so far from the sneak peek you gave us. -c

Julie Holloway said...

I wish I would do a little fallness around this house. I think I'm too lazy---your post cracked me up, as always!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I was told once to put them on when they are a little "damp" and they are easier and the wrinkles pull out easier! NOT!!! Felt like I was sitting on a wet sofa for two days!

Love the look, but I have one BLACK cat, two gray ones and a cream colored cat and three men!! Light colorson the sofa...not a good idea at my house, though I LOVE the look.

Lou Cinda :)

Back to Top